Tuesday, November 15, 2011

People like me

     Years ago I knew a married gay couple who ran a white cloth, french restaurant.  Michael ran the business, Tony ran the restaurant.  Michael was well heeled internationally and had specific ideas as to how he wanted his food presented -- so much so that one time he decided to take his Sous Chef, Kevin and Tony on a European Cultural Tour where they would sample the art and cuisine of several countries.

     Michael set up the entire trip and their agenda.  When they got to Italy, Michael insisted they see the works of the great masters. On their return, Kevin related that at first it was a bit difficult for him because Michael kept interjecting about the artist's sexuality.  Michael would say, "These magnificent doors represent the work of early Donatello.  He was gay, you know." or "Michelangelo was brilliant  He was gay, you know."

     Kevin said one day, after Michael had been prattling on several times that he had finally had enough.  He looked at Michael and said, "Yes. I understand he was gay.  I also understand you are gay.  I respect that.  You need to respect the fact that I am straight. And if it wasn't for people like me, people like you wouldn't be here!"

     After that, the trip went much smoother.

No comments:

Post a Comment